Grootbos Nature Reserve, with its two 5-star lodges and luxury accommodation, is spectacularly situated on the fynbos and forest clad hills overlooking the whale-watching haven of Walker Bay. Grootbos has carved a unique niche in the upmarket eco-lodge sector by specializing in the Cape region of South Africa's world-renowned flora and marine biodiversity. This multi-award winning 2500 ha reserve is home to more than 760 different species of plants, offers warm hospitality, excellent cuisine, fine South African wines and is a nature lover's paradise.
Whether ones interests are birding, wild flowers, whale watching, diving with great white sharks or relaxing on unspoilt beaches Grootbos has it all. The Cape fynbos is renowned as a flora biodiversity hotspot and for more than a decade Grootbos has promoted its beauty, researched some of its many secrets and developed a suit of projects focused on conserving this exceptional natural region.
The gourmet cuisine is crafted from the finest and freshest local ingredients, including seafood specialties and excellent South African wines. One can experience a fusion of culinary delights while marveling at mesmerizing views of Walker Bay.
Accommodation is in 27 spacious luxury suites, all with sweeping views across the dunes and ocean, private wooden decks, bathrooms, finest bedding and separate living rooms with cosy fireplaces.
Central to the ethos of Grootbos is that our guests discover the region's natural wonders and directly contribute to its conservation and upliftment of our local communities.
Policy on Responsible Tourism:
It is the view of the company that, with trade, comes a responsibility towards the environment and its community, as these are two of the integral parts that make a specific region unique. To preserve this, Grootbos pledges to play an active role in conservation and social responsibility for as long as the company stays operational.
Grootbos is committed to free and fair trade and supports the local economy rather than considering the use of external suppliers.
One of the main purposes of Grootbos, is to attract the overseas market, to experience what the area has to offer and to contribute to its development. For this purpose Grootbos has set up its own non-profit section 21 company, the Grootbos Foundation.
The Mission of the Grootbos Foundation reads: “The conservation of biodiversity of Grootbos and its surrounds and development of sustainable nature based livelihoods through ecotourism, research, management and education”.
The Foundation objectives are implemented through three pillars: Conservation, Research and Sustainable livelihoods.
The main objectives of the Foundation are:
1. engaging in conservation, rehabilitation and protection of the natural environment, including flora, fauna on Grootbos and in the Cape floristic region;
2. the promotion of, and education and training programs relating to, environmental awareness, greening, clean-up and sustainable development projects;
3. the provision of education by an adult education "college" aligned with the Agricultural Seta, including horticulture, conservation, ecotourism and life skills education;
4. training for unemployed persons with the purpose of enabling them to obtain employment;
5. research including ecological, educational, social, scientific and technological research on conservation, rehabilitation or protection of the natural environment, including flora, fauna or the biosphere;
6. the utilisation of the income received from donors to pursue the above activities;
7. The development of an indigenous plant nursery that will generate income for the above activities.
Details / Other Expenses
|Year of Last Renovation:
||All Rooms Have Exterior Hallways
|Non Smoking Rooms:
||Windows Do Open
||1 View Spaces
||1185 sq. feet
||Holds 80 people
|Dist. to Food/Bars:
|Dist. to 24hr Restaurant:
|Dist. to Nearest Gym:
Our pools at Garden and Forest Lodge are open from 07h00 until 21h00. Both of them are outdoor pools and not heated, but offer splendid views over Walker Bay.
Policies / Expenses
CANCELLATIONS - 1-3 rooms
The cancellation fee is a percentage of the full accommodation account.
Up to 31 days prior to travel: 0% cancellation fees
30 – 25 days prior to travel: 40% cancellation fees
24 – 18 days prior to travel: 50% cancellation fe
|Typical Group Deposit:
|VAT: Value Added Tax:
||14.00 VAT % Inclusive
Amenities / Features
Sorry, pets are not allowed.
Airport & Shuttle Information
Cape Town Int Airport
160 km - 2 hours drive
Local Shuttle Info: on request
Airport Shuttle? Sorry
airport shuttle available.